Achieve Your Objectives through Effective Delegation
Have you ever heard one of these phrases: ‘If you want to get on in an organization, never make yourself indispensable, make yourself redundant!’, or maybe ‘If you want something done give it to a busy team!’ or perhaps ‘Don’t work hard, work smart!’ What all these are really saying is the same thing – learn to delegate effectively. If you can give the right tasks in the right way to your team, you will motivate them, grow their ability to act alone, and free yourself and your time for challenging tasks and roles fulfilling everyone’s objectives. In this course, you’ll first learn about the impact of different delegation styles. You’ll then be introduced to principles you can use to help you decide what to delegate and to whom.
- recognize the impact of different delegation styles
- recognize the kinds of tasks that should be delegated
- delegate tasks to the right people
- delegate the right tasks to the right people
The Delegation Process
Everyone has had the experience of asking someone to do something and then not getting back any results or getting back unexpected or poor quality deliveries. Usually the root cause of this is that the task giver failed to make clear what was needed, by whom, by when, and how, as well as allowing insufficient time. In this course, you’ll be introduced to the factors you need to consider when planning a delegation so that you can convey these to the delegate. You’ll be given guidelines on what to communicate and how. You’ll also learn about the importance of being clear about the level of authority you are delegating and of making sure you inform others who need to know that the delegate is working on the task with your backing.
- consider key factors when preparing to delegate a task
- predict the likely consequences of a person’s approach to communicating an assignment to a delegate
- recognize how to communicate instructions on a task requirement in the right way
- recognize the need to empower your delegate
- launch a successful delegation
Successful Delegation: Supervise and Encourage
‘We all get the results we deserve’ is especially true when it comes to following up on tasks after delegation. Have you ever received a request to do something from someone and never heard another thing until they complain that you are overdue or that the results are not what they expected? Supervision at the right level – avoiding the equal temptations to either micromanage or to ignore the delegate’s activities – is critical to assuring a good result. Giving the right coaching, encouragement and support to the delegate, plus seeking feedback and eliciting questions from the assignee are skills to develop for best results. And remember, you have responsibility for execution no matter what happens. In this course, you’ll learn how to give supervision and feedback to ensure that your delegates actually deliver what you want and when you expect. You’ll find out how to set checkpoints and make sure the delegate gets the support and coaching they need to be effective. Finally, you’ll discover constructive ways to respond when things go wrong and how to handle failed deliveries without demotivating the delegate.
- recognize actions to take to follow up on a delegated task appropriately
- distinguish between actions that motivate and demotivate a delegate
- respond appropriately to bad results from delegation
- deliver constructive criticism to improve performance
- use appropriate supervision and feedback to enhance a delegate’s performance
Use Delegation to Develop Your Team
Suppose your team is functioning well and delegation is working for you, so that you are getting the results you need. How do you take yourself and your team to the next level? How can you increase the level of responsibility without loss of quality? Can you free even more time for your own career development? In this course, you’ll learn how to improve your delegation skills by taking account of the development needs of your team. You’ll learn to recognize the six different levels of authority and responsibility that can assigned in a delegation and how these can be used to further the development of the team through thoughtful delegation.
- delegate a task to a person in a way that develops them
- delegate in a way that develops an employee
- review your delegation performance in a structured way
- develop your team through delegation